At this time, as mentioned above, a Mataniko chief named Suala claimed ownership of part of the Honiara land: the Commission recommended that Levers give up part of the land and pay a small sum of money.
In 1924 the Secretary of State confirmed the recommendations of the Lands Commission, which gave them force in law.
Heavy fighting took place all along the Guadalcanal coast, much of it in what is now the centre of Honiara; for several months the surrounds of Mataniko River was a 'no-man's land' between the Japanese and the American forces.
(Clemens 2004, 204, 221) Point Cruz became a supply and transit base for the Americans and there was a road extending on both sides, thirty-two kilometres east and ten kilometres west-the first real road in the Solomon Islands.
From this period until the end of the war, about two thousand Solomon Islanders, most of them from Malaita, worked on Guadalcanal in the Solomon Islands Labour Corps, with another 680 enlisted for combat duty in the British Solomon Islands Defence Force, working alongside the Americans.
In late August 1942, Martin Clements, a Protectorate Officer who had become a coastwatcher (q.v.), was instructed by Resident Commissioner William Marchant (q.v.) (evacuated to Malaita) to resume his duties as District Officer of Guadalcanal.
By 2 September, the Resident Commissioner was himself based at Lungga and accommodations were worked out between the Allied forces and the Protectorate Government.
In 1964, Baranamba Hoai of Mataniko village claimed ownership of part of Honiara on behalf of himself and the Kakau and Habata descent groups, but the High Court found that the 1924 transfer was still valid.