The National Register of Historic Places-listed Carl Hilmar Guenther House was originally constructed in 1859, making it one of the oldest houses in the King William neighborhood.It was extensively modified in 1915, and its current appearance is characterized by alterations from that date.He witnessed and recorded the frenzy of airports, limos and performance venues, as well as quiet, intimate moments, relaxing backstage and in hotel rooms.
Carl Hilmar Guenther, the house’s original owner, first arrived in Texas from Germany in 1851. Guenther and Sons Flour Mill, now known as Pioneer Flour Mills, was located adjacent to his homestead along the San Antonio River.
He was a trained cabinet maker, stone mason, and millwright, and constructed his first mill in San Antonio in 1859. The dwelling was one of only three constructed in or before 1859 within the King William neighborhood and became one of eight constructed by Guenther family members in the area during the second half of the nineteenth century (Watson et al 1990).
Special consideration will be given to the independence of thought and originality.
The award will be granted regardless of race, gender, age, religion, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, gender expression, gender identity, presence of disabilities, and educational background.
Our services include automotive repair, used auto sales, and towing.