In 1802, John Murray in the Lady Nelson entered Port Phillip, and he was followed shortly after by Matthew Flinders.
In 1803, Charles Grimes, the deputy surveyor-general of New South Wales, was sent to Port Phillip to survey the area.
In May 1804 Collins moved the settlement to Tasmania, establishing Hobart.
The northern shores of Bass Strait were then left to a few whalers and sealers.
He entered Port Phillip Bay on , landing at Indented Head.