The Serrano (Mountain-dwelling Cahuilla) village of Guachama, located just to the west of present-day Redlands, was visited by Fr.Francisco Dumetz in 1810, and was the reason the site was chosen for a mission outpost.In 1842, the Lugo family bought the Rancho San Bernardino Mexican land grant and this became the first fixed settler civilization in the area.
The original community of Lugonia was absorbed at this time.
The newspaper was first published in July 1887 by The Citrograph Printing Company, which remains in 2017 as both Redlands' oldest business and the longest-operating printing company in California.
The firm boasted of ability to supply current enough for 55 arc lamps, and 1,500 homes." During the 1930s and 1940s, labor activists campaigned in the canneries and packing houses for union representation and higher wages.
The United Cannery, Agricultural, Packing, and Allied Workers of America (UCAPAWA) won 13 National Labor Relations Board representation elections in the Riverside-Redlands area in 1943.
Dumetz reached the village on May 20, the feast day of Saint Bernardino of Siena, and thus named the region the San Bernardino Valley.