Dinas (Rhiw) Station and much of that branch is now all but buried under slate waste; the rest of the Dinas branch line was removed about 1954–55.
Occasional confusion arises because places named Hafod y Llyn Isaf and Dinas also exist on the Welsh Highland Railway, albeit 10 miles (16 km) or more to the northwest of those on the FR. Board of Trade returns for 1884 show a police inspector was based at the company's head office.
In 1860, the board of the company began to investigate the possibility of introducing steam locomotives to increase the carrying capacity of the railway.
Although narrow-gauge steam locomotives had been tried before this, very few had been built to so narrow a gauge.
In more recent times the British Transport Police made friendly overtures and were politely informed that the FR had powers to swear its own constables.
During the late 1850s it became clear that the line was reaching its operational capacity, while the output of the Blaenau Ffestiniog slate quarries continued to rise.
And we’re left wanting nothing more than to spend our evenings cuddling on the sofa, and studies suggest we’re not alone!